Tuesday, January 10, 2012

TMT: Lessons from a two year old

A week ago I was having a rough morning. I was trying to get the children dressed quickly on our way to an early Dr.'s appointment. Ty was being a bit of a stinker and at one point he said "MOM GO-DURT, NOW!" and pointed his finger to the kitchen. I was none too pleased with that attitude and we had a talk about being nice, employing the word please and using a kinder tone. He amended his order and then asked "Go-durt please mom?"

About 15 minutes later Maylee of course has a messy diaper right when I am ready to walk out the door. I was trying to change it quickly and I said "Ty can you get me one of Maylee's diapers? Please?" He turned to go then turned back, he looked at me and said "Thank you for saying please mom." He got the diaper and came running back. He handed me the diaper and said "See? Ty nice."

I grinned from ear to ear. Our little talks DO sink in! Then it reminded me that it is JUST as important for me to be nice, employ the word please and have a kinder tone in talking to my children as it is for them to use it with me. Thanks for the reminder little buddy.

Harold B. Lee said,
"Strengthen your family ties and be mindful of your children. … Be sure that the home is made the strong place to which children can come for the anchor they need in this day of trouble and turmoil. Then love will abound and your joy will be increased." 


Then he shared an experiance,


"I had an experience that taught me something as a grandfather. It was the night of [a Church] dance festival up at the stadium, and my daughter’s two oldest … were giving her a lot of bad time, as she called it. So I said, “How would you like it if I take your two boys up to the stadium to the dance festival?”
She said, “Oh, Daddy, if you’d do it, I’d be so happy.”
I didn’t know what I was getting into. … As that spectacle began, I didn’t know there was so much difference between a seven-year-old and a five-year-old. The seven-year-old was entranced by that spectacle down on the football field. But that five-year-old, his attention span was pretty short. He’d squirm and then he’d want to go and get a hot dog and he’d want to go get a drink and he’d want to go to the toilet, and he was just on the move all the time. ...I tried to pull my grandson here and there, trying to make him behave. Finally, that little five-year-old turned on me and with his little doubled-up fist he smacked me to the side of the face and he said, “Grandfather, don’t shove me!” And you know, that hurt.  ...my first impulse was to take him and give him a good spanking; that’s what he deserved. But, I’d seen his little mother do something. I’d seen her when he was having a temper tantrum and she had a saying, “You have to love your children when they’re the least lovable.” And so I thought I’d try that out. I had failed in the other process.
So I took him in my arms and I said to him, “My boy, Grandfather loves you. I so much want you to grow up to be a fine big boy. I just want you to know that I love you, my boy.” His little angry body began to [relax], and he threw his arms around my neck and he kissed my cheek, and he loved me. I had conquered him by love. And incidentally, he had conquered me by love." 


That will be one of my life long goals, to live in such a kind, loving way that by example and by nature my children will also. I will conquer by love! (okay that sounded a little hippie-ish huh?)  


"There is beauty all around
When there’s love at home;
There is joy in ev’ry sound
When there’s love at home.


Peace and plenty here abide,
Smiling sweet on ev’ry side.
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there’s love at home.


Love at home, love at home;
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there’s love at home."

Lyrics LDS Hymns, Love At Home

4 comments:

Will said...

Bummer that we're missing Ty's growth lately. Must be so interesting to HEAR him grow up.
(My word verification was "ilikes")

Spence Ohana said...

..."it is JUST as important for me to be nice, employ the word please and have a kinder tone in talking to my children as it is for them to use it with me."

I need to work on this more. :)

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for posting this Mickie! It is EXACTLY what I needed to hear today! I am on the verge of losing it with Baylee (she smashed my deoderant into little pieces all over the bathroom floor, lost a Redbox dvd, climbed up on a laundry hamper and pulled stuff down from the top shelf in the bathroom, etc. I've just been sending her to her room to keep from losing it. Thanks for reminding me that I need to love her too :) Seriously, thank you!

Kay said...

Good post and good reminders of how to treat everyone. Especially our own family!