Tuesday, March 4, 2008

We're Back!

Talk about a quick trip! Matt and I went to the great state of Texas over the weekend. It was jam packed but really fun. The reason we went down is Mitzi and Larry planned a little tribute to Pops music kind of thing for Sunday but got him out there by saying they wanted him to sing a little in the gig Larry had on Saturday night. I think I am only going to talk about Friday and Saturday today though, then Sunday and Monday tomorrow.

Friday we flew out at 5:05 pm. We left work around 2:30 and went back home to finish packing and get to the airport. Matt decided he wanted to give himself a hair cut before we left. I had laundry all over the house and while Matt was cutting his hair I was packing and trying to eat something. Matt left hair all over the bathroom because we didn't have time to clean it up! We got to the airport at about 4 and were running to get checked in. We got on the plane and flew over to Denver (sorry the picture is side ways that is in the Denver airport) We had about a 20 minute wait then we went into Dallas. We landed at about 10:30 pm and Tammie Williams (one of Matt's moms best friends) picked us up. She was so kind and generous to us! We chatted and caught up on old times and she let us stay in Chads room.


We woke up and went over to her pre-school where Matt caught up with one of his friends Brian Theis. They talked about old times and hung out for a little bit. We also helped Tammie move a few things and fix a few things at the pre-school. Its huge! She now has two by the way one in Frisco and one in Allen.


Tammie let us drive her little Tacoma all around , again VERY kind of her so helpful! We went on up to Bonham for the afternoon to visit the Slaughter family. They are one of the family's Matt was really close to on his mission. Also one of his companions from that area married and moved back there so he was around too! We hung out with Ben and Jessica Jones, also Pam, Hilary, Madison, and Ty Slaughter. Pete was judging a weight lifting competition and I don't recall where Whitney was that day. Anyways we rode horses and the 4-wheeler, hung out with the goats, the cats, and the dogs AND played on the trampoline.


At about 2 we had to leave. We took our journey down to Crockett (po dunk USA) out in the middle of no where to meet up with Matt's family for the weekend. Larry and the "Texas Opry Band" were playing a gig out there. Pop was going to be one of the guest singers. As we were driving I fell asleep, all the sudden Matt starts laughing at says "Mick Mick! You gotta wake up were turning around!" I freaked out thinking "did we forget something in Bonham??" He says "We have to take a picture." We pull up and lo and behold where else but in Texas would you find a real life "Mater"! We both had to take a picture isn't he great?


Also while we were driving I noticed the further South East we drove the greener it got. So here mom and dad there is green in Texas!


We finally got there and surprised Pop (Matt's grandpa) who had no idea we were coming. They played at the Opry in the Civic center. We all loved listening to the old western swing they had there, Matt, Mitzi, Lexi, Dustin, Yvonne, Bobbie and I. Something funny is Matt's little cousin Lexi is really a independent kind of girl and just liked running everywhere that evening. She was going back stage and hanging out wherever. Well at one point Pop was saying on stage how he had family from all over here and Lexi went walking up on stage. She was so cute! Then at the very end they said "All right all the singers back up on stage for one final number." Whelp up goes Lexi to sing along. Mitzi was laughing so hard she was crying! What was she doing on stage? She didn't even think that she wasn't supposed to be up there... Anyways that got over really late and we still had to drive back to Waco about 2 hours away.We stayed in a hotel for the evening and uh just in case you are wondering "Best Value Inn" off of 6 in Waco isn't the nicest place to stay ;) :). We got through it then we were ready for Sunday. I have to get to work now.. Yikes its all ready 9:30! More adventures in Texas tomorrow.

7 comments:

Holly said...

What a great weekend! Okay, now it's time to sweep up the hair. I was reading and all I could think about was...the hair! Umm, I need help! :P
I am sooo going to show my lil' man Mater when he gets home. He is going to die! :)

steve said...

I don't know what's so funny. I thought everyone had a "Mater". Matt I don't know if you know this but I met your mom in East Texas in Palestine just north of Crockett. Go slow Mickie - they shoot Yankees down there. There were 997 people in the town I lived in Elkhart. I changed the 7 to 998 when I moved in and had to go back with an sos pad a year later when I moved out.

Kay said...

What great memories of Pop! I bet Bobbie loved the surprise too!

Jason is going to love the pic of you, Matt and Mater!

Can't wait til part II tomorrow....

Kristin said...

Jason loved mater.

Wow that was a packed weekend. You haven't even hit sunday or monday. Holy cow. I am glad you were able to go.

Day by Day Design said...

That truck is awesome! I love it!

Spence Ohana said...

You mean you were in TX and you didn't come visit US!??? We're so insulted, just kidding! :-) But really we were only a 3.5 hour drive south of where you guys were!

Sounds like a fun weekend!

Spence Ohana said...

P.S. Oh I thought you guys were in Plano...Waco is only 1.5 hours north of us, we could've drove up and met you guys for lunch. But it sounds like your weekend was already jam packed...next time. ;-)