Monday, October 8, 2012

The Pumpkin Patch

Last Saturday we took the opportunity to go to the pumpkin patch while my mom was here to help. It was a warm, dry, WINDY day. It wasn't unbearably windy, but some gusts were quite dusty. I think fun was had by all regardless of the weather conditions though. We went to the same patch as last year so we knew what to expect. We also went earlier in the season so their pumpkin selection was WAY bigger.
Ty saw this big hay stack pyramid the second we walked in, he raced to the top.
We tried to get Maylee to walk along it but I think the hay was too pokey on her legs to climb it.
Matt and Ty however army crawled through the interior tunnels and jumped around for a while.
The kids went over to the animals and even pet a few. We saw ducks, chickens, a cow, a donkey, goats, piglets, and geese.
Ty also liked riding the tractor around, normally his eyes would be open during this cheese face but it was probably really windy at the moment and he'd say "Mom the dirt is in mine eyes!"
There was a huge pit of corn kernels and a bunch of diggers and shovel for kids to play (kind of like a sand pit) well some of the kernels made it out of the pit into the wagon so May was dumping them onto the ground.
Next we launched some pumpkins. Ty and Matt always have a great time with this.


We didn't get to do as many launches this year as last you though, it was too busy to take our sweet time. 
Mom and I even took a try. My mom's went WAY far and mine didn't go far enough.

We took a hay ride behind a tractor, which is one of Ty's favorites, to the pumpkin patch. The kids rode in the wheel barrow even though we didn't go too far.
Ty picked out a pumpkin, Matt's is actually the small one that Maylee has.
My mom picked out a tall skinnier one and Matt picked out another big one, the two big ones will remain un-carved we'll just carve the two smaller ones.
As you get off the hay ride with your pumpkins they have a washing station. Ty and Maylee liked helping Matt scrub our pumpkins all clean.
After we picked our pumpkins and put them in the car it was time for the Corn Maze. I made it about 5 minutes before I decided walking that much after having a baby only 4 days earlier wasnt such a good idea so I went back to the entrance and sat down while my mom Matt Ty and Maylee wandered around. They didn't have a map for us when we walked in since they ran out but they found a map shortly after and made their way out. Maylee fell asleep while my mom held her.
Last but not least Grandma made sure Ty took a pony ride. He LOVED it and was quite upset to get off.



We got our Apple Ciders and Hot Cocoa for the road and took off for home. It was a fun day at the patch and even Emma did really well until the last little bit there. The Baby Bjorn carrier worked wonders and protected her nicely from the windy day. She slept almost the entire time.

5 comments:

steve said...

I always liked pumpkin carving at Kay's home. Can't wait to see how they come out.

Spence Ohana said...

Um ya, I was thinking..."Is Mickie really launching a pumpkin 4 days after having a baby - and she is even wearing her newborn in the Bjorn!?" I definitely recovered much faster after birthing my 2nd child, but I wasn't launching pumpkins 4 days later! You're a trooper Mickie, and look fabulous!

Glad your family had such a fun time at the Pumpkin patch!

Kelly Spence said...

We need a place like that here! So cool. Yeah, I agree with Melissa, can't believe you were launching a pumpkin with a baby on you. That is the only reason yours didn't go far, I am sure. :)

Trish Griffee said...

So fun!! I love pumpkin patches. I'm so glad you are able to use that carrier so much.

Michaela said...

How fun!! I'm looking forward to cooler weather and getting out to a pumpkin patch soon!

I love Ty's "ye-haw!" SO cute!!!