Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Name Sake

I just realized that I forgot to explain how we decided on Emma ("We" is in the loosest sense...) It was actually the name I originally wanted. Matt's name he liked was Abigail. Neither of us were passionate about either, so I told Matt decide.

I liked Emma for two reasons
Reason #1 when I was looking into our family history for names I found that Emma was the name of my Maternal Grandfathers (Grandpa Coombs) Grandmother... So my Great Great Grandmothers name was Emma.
Reason #2 is if you know me, you know I am a big Jane Austen fan. Not obsessive of course, but Pride and Prejudice is my all time favorite book. Another book that Jane Austen wrote that I enjoy is, yep you guessed it, Emma. So it's a family name AND I got to sneak in a little Jane Austen flare :) Maylee's middle name is Elizabeth which is Matt's Fathers Mothers name and of course it's the main characters name in Pride and Prejudice.

Emma's middle name Marie, is quite common, but it is also Suzanne's middle name. Here's the thing, Suzanne Marie wasn't named after anyone. My parents just liked the name. Everyone of the kids in our family are named after someone, i'm named after TWO people! She's felt a little short changed in the past and maybe now about it all. When Matt and I were discussing middle names he thought that since Suzanne wasn't named after anyone that we should name our lady after her to make up the difference. I thought that was really sweet of Matt so I quickly agreed.

Matt said that he needed to wait until Emma was born to see if she was an Abigail or an Emma. I have no idea how he really decided. He said if she had dark hair it would be Abigail and light hair it would be Emma but when a baby is born, if they even HAVE any hair is going to be a little darker because it's uhh wet. No matter really, within the minute she was born and they put her on me I turned to Matt and said "So?" He looked down and said, "That's our Emma." and that was it.

She's our Emma.

 It's blurry I know, the other day coming back from the Library I looked back to see this. I thought Ty was asleep and was about to take another picture when Ty popped his head up and said "Mom! Can I see the pitch-ur?" Ahh so he was faking it... but not really, it was still cute and unstaged.

The first morning Emma was home Ty came running in knowing that Emma would be in my room he snuggled right into her and said "Oh Hi Sweetheart, I love you." The most precious thing ever. For the record that is what Matt says to his girls, so he was following his Dad's example. Needless to say I don't mind at all if Ty ends up just like his Dad, he's pretty much top notch.     

3 comments:

Spence Ohana said...

Ah Ty is so sweet!

Very cool how you came up with her name! :)

My middle name is Marie too. My Dad really like Elvis' daughter's name Lisa Marie...my Mom liked the Olympic gymnast Nadia...my Dad won...but instead of Lisa they went with Melissa and called me Lissa for short.

I bet your sis in honored to have her niece named after her. :)

Michaela said...

What a sweet picture! Ty is such a good big brother!!

Emma Marie is just perfect! I hope I get to meet her someday soon!!

Trish Griffee said...

I love the name. And the "reason" behind it.