Saturday morning Matt woke up and decided it was the day... it was the day for Ty to learn to be a big boy and be potty trained. I had my doubts and so I pretty much left it up to Matt. Last time was still fresh in my mind and I wasn't ready for battle.
Saturday was okay. Matt and Ty stayed home all day (except for the 30 minutes to Papa Murphy's for some Pizza for Dinner) they watched whatever movies Ty wanted ate all the snacks and drinks they wanted while Ty tried to learn how to be a big boy. He had a lot of accidents, but did make it to the potty once.
Sunday for church I told Matt that Ty needed a Pull-up on, so that he would be able to stay at church because no doubt he wouldn't even make it through the first hour. Matt said no that he needed to learn. I gave Matt the reins and of course Ty had an accident, a big, gross, smelly accident at church and Matt took him home after the first hour. I stayed all three hours but felt like I was walking dead due to little sleep the night before and Daylight savings time. Sunday afternoon and evening he started to pick it up a little better and had made it to the potty 2 times instead of just once.
Monday Matt had to work and I was DREADING potty training on my own. I geared up for battle and rolled out of bed. Ty woke me up to tell me to take his Pull-up off so he could have underwear on. I put on his underwear and seriously the kid had it down. No problems, no misses, no whining, no issues, just a regular potty trained kid. I couldn't believe it! He was totally fine going 1 and 2 in the potty ( I know probably TMI but some kids struggle with one or the other). No false alarms, every time he said he needed to go he went, and quite a bit. I would ask him if the Pee Pee was all gone and he would say "YES! :)"
I have come to learn something about my little Ty. Whatever all the books say to do, take it in stride, think of the opposite and that is what Ty will respond to best. Ty does NOT like it when you treat him like a little kid, well sort of. If you talk to him in a high cutesy voice he doesn't like it. He doesn't like a ton of verbal encouragement and reminders, he is like a teenager in that way. You make him think it's his idea and he'll do it. If YOU beg, plead, or try and force him... well as my Dad always says, "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated" and boy does Ty know how to assimilate! All we ended up doing is buying a package of Blue Peep Bunny's for him and said "If you go in the potty you get a bunny, if not you don't get one." That was the end of it, no reminders, no more "You can do it!"s. Once all that stopped I would just say "Ty, Mommy needs to go potty, do you need to go?" "No? okay..." then within a minute or so Ty says "Mommy, Ty Ty the Potty..." so I pull down his pants for him and leave the bathroom, he does his thing, washes his hands, then comes asking for a bunny.
Man I wish I would have known this 6 months ago, the less big of a deal you make it the easier it is for him to cooperate. I'll keep it in mind for future learning experiences. I learned so much about my little Ty guy. I prayed my guts out this weekend that he would get it this time and he did. WHEW!
P.S. Yesterday my mom e-mailed and said she was driving up to pick up Ty for the week. I reminded her that Ty was potty training and she said it was fine! He even wore big boy underwear the WHOLE DRIVE down to Medford in stop and go construction and a late arrival he didn't have one accident and was even able to go on command at a random McD's my mom stopped at for dinner. Seriously! What an awesome little Ty guy eh? Oh and what an awesome Mom... I don't even know what to do with myself with out Ty. One kid is so much different and easier than two :)
Next step for Ty? Getting rid of the pull up at night... I am sure he'll do fine... I just didn't want to be washing underwear AND sheets all weekend.
So bottom line is, we have a whole box of size 5 diapers ready and waiting for Maylee. But then Matt and I joked that we don't think May will ever fit size 5. She'll be potty trained before that size! We'll have to wait and see :)
5 comments:
Gosh, I didn't even really realize that they made diapers bigger than 4. So glad that he's doing so well. Such a blessing to not have to change him manually.
Yay for Ty!!! I must admit I will be a nervous wreck when it comes time to potty train C. I have no idea what to do with a boy. B was so easy to potty train. As for your diaper dilemma...I don't think you're going to make it with Maylee. Brooke didn't and Maylee is around her size at that age.
Glad Ty has caught on. We saw him today at that mom and kid thing your mom does at the church. We hope to see him a few more times before he leaves. Dallin still wears a diaper at night at almost 4. He must be a deep sleeper cuz he just goes. He's starting to make it through the night occasionally.
Woo hoo Ty! James didn't get it until Stephen took the reins on potty training...maybe the boys get more confidence when they are practicing with their Daddy's. Hopefully he'll be out of pull ups soon too if he's staying dry at night. James was out of them within weeks of being potty trained. But I know other kids who are heavy sleepers and they don't stay dry at night for several months or years. Either way don't fret.
When they are ready- they are ready and it is easy- and you are right- most people don't like being forced or treated like they are incapable. I would keep the pullups at night until he is dry every night for a while- he won't want to wear them very long I would bet.
Post a Comment