Tuesday, August 9, 2011

TMT: UNPLUGGING!

It has come to my attention that my family, namely my two year old and myself are addicted to the screens! I am addicted to the computer and Ty is addicted to the T.V. First thing he says in the morning is "Where's the mote?" and first thing I do in the morning is log on.

I feel that because of this our family is suffering. I don't pay as good attention to my children as I should and Ty feels the need to be constantly stimulated by a movie or "show" like he says.

I need to unplug myself and my son. SO in an effort to do that I will not be on the computer at all for a week and Ty wont watch a movie or a show either. I'll be back next Tuesday and hopefully can report good things from this.

If you need me call me at home, on the cell or text. Other wise all e-mails, facebook messages and comments will go un-answered until then.

I think it's time for me to get into the trenches of motherhood and really straighten things out around here at home. I know a ton of tears will be shed on my part and on my sons part. In fact they all ready are falling for him since I told Ty NO to Little Einsteins.

Wish us all luck!

9 comments:

Kay said...

I know you won't get this for a whole week! BUT...hope you have a lot of other activities planned for the week, parks, walks, water colors, play dough, baking, sprinklers, coloring, weeding, dusting. I had to throw those last two in there, because he certainly can start learning to help out around the house now!

Kelly Spence said...

I do this about once a year. Once you get back online and kids get back to watching some TV, even in limited amounts, it slowly gets out of control again. At least that is how it has gone for me the last couple years. :) It is good to do a "screen fast" once in a while. Enjoy. I always feel like a much better mom when I am limiting our media exposure and doing more interactive activities.

Will said...

Good luck! Smart to do it in the summer though.

Spence Ohana said...

Like Kelly said, it's good to do a screen fast! When I did my water only fast for Lent that was pretty difficult but I've known others who made a screen fast for Lent (Like 6 weeks!) Now that would be TOUGH! Looking forward to your post next week.

Gerber Family said...

Good luck! Gavin is the same way. Every morning it's "Thomas?" or "Show?". Haha. It's amazing how quickly they get hooked! I'm interested to see how the week goes. I will keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Holly said...

Good for you! If I unplugged for a week...my job would suffer! ;) I can't get on FB very often and my blogging is sporatic. Hope you are able to connect with your kiddos!

Michaela said...

Good for you Mickie! I have never gone a whole week, but would love to! I keep telling myself I will do no movies (we don't have a tv here) and set a 30min/day time limit for the computer once Jordan gets his applications in and we find housing etc. I'm actually looking forward to it! Can't wait to hear your report on this week and all the fun activities you and Ty and Maylee did :)

Kay said...

I know I've talked to you on the phone, but....I kinda miss seeing pictures of my grandkids, so this "fast" is not very fun for Grandpa and me. But I'll hang in there for the greater good!

grampa spence said...

Once per lifetime is enough for grandparents. I've become addicted to your post. Get back in the saddle please. I miss you and your family.