My baby is 7 months old now, can you believe that! I was thinking of it for sometime this morning when he uncharacteristically woke up at 4:30 a.m. inconsolably upset. (more teeth maybe? We ran out of Tylenol yesterday...) What got me thinking of it was after about 3 minutes of crying with no let up, I decided to check his diaper and see if it needed changing. This caused me to pick him up (We have a firm once you are in your crib for the night you are NOT PICKED UP AGAIN until the next morning around 8 a.m. rule. Yes I broke it last night) he did not however need a diaper change but seeing how distraught he was I decided to try and cuddle him to sleep (I don’t think that has happened in the middle of the night since he was younger than a month old) As I walked around for a moment holding him I realized that both of us were entirely uncomfortable. He weighs so much that I can't hold him sideways like that for a long period of time and his legs were dangling so far off my side I was convinced that he was just upset because of having to worry about half his body not being supported. I decided sitting down was a better option, but if any of you have EVER held a baby you know that sitting down to soothe a screaming child will never work and in fact makes them more upset.
He persisted in his screams for about 3 minutes so I thought... BLAH I am going back to the basics "Have fun crying in your crib son there is nothing else I can do for you". And so it was, he cried and screamed for about 15-20 minutes until I went back in, popped that pacifier in his mouth and rubbed his head for about 2 minutes before he was back asleep for the rest of the morning. The whole escapade took about an hour and as I was falling back asleep around 5:45 I thought "Since when was my baby too big for me to cuddle him like that. When did that happen!" Of that I am not sure... but I will say, along with all you other parents out there that YES children grow up TOO quickly... and I know once I have my last baby I will really miss that newborn stage for sure. I think with each child we have, more and more I will enjoy it, then miss it more and more after it’s gone. No wonder moms LOVE to hold others little tiny 2 month old kiddos.
Also, Ty got his first bump yesterday. He is resolved to NEVER lie down on his back to play anymore, he must be on his tummy, sitting up, or in his jumper. Which sometimes when he is standing up with your help he thinks to jump… that’s a funny unexpected moment. He is very good at sitting up these days but yesterday he was sitting on the floor at church and lunged forward to grab the chair in front of him. My kids noggin his quite large and gravity did the rest. Instead of his hand reaching the chair first his forehead did. Yup it was followed swiftly with a scream and a good sized bruise and goose egg. Matt was taking care of him at that time and how did Matt console him? "I am sorry Ty but you will need to get used to that, it's the first of a lot of bumps and bruises to come..." ha ha Of course Matt snuggled him for quite sometime before Ty calmed down as well. But it is a just warning for our little guy… it’s gonna happen… and a lot.
Gotta love that toothy grin he is flashing these days. I'll try and get a picture of the latest installments to his adorable smile soon.
4 comments:
Yep, bumps and bruises are just the beginning, after awhile come broken bones and stitches. But hopefully nothing more serious than that!
I miss holding my babies in that position too - yes they are far from being babies but I'll always call them that. :)
Stephen says those same kind of remarks to James - he finally admitted to me it's because he wants a macho son, not one who enjoys reading fashion magazines. (rolling my eyes).
Can't wait to see Ty's toothers!
You make me laugh. Kristin and I are tough-love parents too but I imagine a lot of parents wouldn't be able to handle the crying!
I remember Con crying for over an hour until he fell asleep...that was brutal! Welcome to boys...the first bumps of many to come... :)
Post a Comment