Sunday, January 24, 2010

Quick Dinner: Mongolian BBQ

I was sitting there at about 6:30 on the couch thinking Ugh I am starving and I didn't plan ANYTHING for dinner! What do I have... Ugh nothing, nothing, nothing! Frozen everything and leftovers...


Here's what I came up with, any of you from my hometown have probably been to a place called Mongolian BBQ, or something close to it. You basically get ramen like noodles in a bowl then you add all the veggies and meats that you want. Then you dump a bunch of different sauces on top and give it to these cooks to put on a super hot grill thing and essentially fry it up for you.

I thought "Hey I can do that!"

I got out my pork and chicken that was frozen and sliced it thinly with my filet knife (it's EASIER when frozen, not fun, but easier, I employed my husband for this) I got out my bag of frozen stir-fry veggies and fired up my Wok. The result was delicious! Here's the (make shift) recipe.

1 large frozen Chicken breast thinly sliced
1 to 1/2 pound Pork Tenderloin (or chops or whatever) thinly sliced
You may add beef too, I didn't have any on hand...
1 bag frozen stir fry veggies
1 package cooked and drained Al Dente spaghetti noodles(I had left over rice so I used that instead)
Soy Sauce to taste
Teriyaki Sauce to taste

(Really the possibilities are endless! Any kind of meat thinly sliced in any amount would work. Mongolian BBQ even has shrimp and Tofu. Also any sauces will do too, like spicy ones or even minced garlic could be added... whatever you want!)

First fire up your Wok, or large frying pan to about 400 degrees. Put about 1 tsp oil in then dump in all veggies, meat and noodles. Pour in at least a couple tablespoons of all sauces. Fry for 5-7 minutes or until meat is cooked.

If you've been to Mongolian BBQ just remember how much sauce you use, which sauces you use and what you like to put in your bowl.
Matt and I actually cooked this together and picked which veggies we wanted and everything. It was really fun cooking with him and having him put everything in that he wanted.
So NEXT time you think... yep bowl of cereal it is for dinner, I am so hungry and I don’t have any time to make dinner. THINK OF THIS! It took MAYBE 20 minutes for us throw it together.
Happy Frying!
Photo Curtesy of "The Wok"n'South" Google Images

7 comments:

Kay said...

Fine..I read this now that I had a bowl of cereal. Dad did offer to microwave a Chicken Bake. I think not they are loaded with fat and calories. And I worked out...oh...a big fat zero days in Rexburg!

Kristin said...

So are you telling me that I need to try this out for dinner tonight? Did you use romen noodles? Did they actually taset ok? Did you boil them first? Interesting...

Holly said...

Okay so I will most likely forget to print this, yep pretty positive. So when I call you in a panic...you jus laugh and tell me what to do. ;)

Ringo said...

Ours is called Ghengis Grill. I prefer fried rice rather than noodles, but that would probably increase the cooking time!

Mickie and Matt said...

We had left over rice, so it didn't increase our cooking time! :) Matt doesn't like the noodles either, he puts the rice in afterwards. I like both noodles and rice.

Yes Kristin of course you cook and drain the Ramen noodles. Just dont use the flavor packet when you cook it.

tracie said...

Oooh, I think I maybe drooled a little bit just thinking about Mongolian BBQ.

Kristin said...

Yeah didn't work so well for will and I. Soggy noodles are not very good :(