Thursday, May 17, 2012

It's all a guessing game...

So as many of you know, I'm pregnant with Spence baby number three and in a few days we find out what sex the baby is. I can hear some of you doing quick math in your head, "Wait a minute... you have to be about half way (or 20 weeks) before you know the sex and didn't Maylee just turn one a month or so ago?" You Are Correct! This one was quite the surprise to Matt and myself considering precautions were set in place to prevent this very thing. But hey, as they say, God trumps birth control. Maylee and #3 will be ohhhhh 17 or 18 months apart, depending on when this one shows up... I thought 20 months was close enough with #1 and #2 and God blesses us with kids even closer together.

That being said, usually Matt and I both know the sex before the ultrasound. We both just knew Ty was a boy and deep down as much as we didn't want to admit it, we knew Maylee was a girl.

That brings me to the topic. This time neither of us have ANY IDEA. It's pretty odd actually. One day i'll just know for sure that it's a girl then the next day I would swear it's a boy. Matt and I are about 60 % it's a girl and 40% it's a boy.

The other thing is we can't really decide what would be better for the family dynamics, or which would be easier, a boy or a girl. Maylee is a fancy pants so maybe a little brother and a big brother could fix that... or would it get worse since she's the only girl? If we had a girl would that just exponentially increase the fancy pants-ness in both girls, feeding off one another?

Either way I think Ty will be fine. I bet he would like a little brother but he is a VERY GOOD older brother to his sister too. He keeps her out of trouble in a way that only a big brother can do which would be good for #3 too.

Then there's the matter of how the pregnancy has gone so far:
A) it was a surprise, so most of the time that is a girl.

B) I am half way there and showing (for me) but not really showing. Most pants I still button up just fine, no problem wearing any of my regular shirts and I've only gained 8 pounds. Usually I have gained at LEAST 12 if not 15 by half way. Since I was smaller with Maylee than Ty that points to girl.
Proof of the no show baby... in the form of the classic Facebook mirror photo pose taken oh 5 minutes ago. Yeah I know I am wearing a cardigan so it's hard to tell but believe me there isn't much to see.

Then there's C) #3 is a CRAZY CHILD. Maylee was nice and graceful, no sudden jerky movements. Ty was a crazy kid who liked to kick and break my ribs and stretch his legs. So far #3 has taken after their brother. Today as Dr. Chen was listening for the heart beat #3 moved so much he had to adjust it three times to hear 10 seconds of heart beat. #3 just wouldn't hold still. That bodes well for ultrasound day in a few days. Ty was the same way they had to take numerous shots or come back to it since he wouldn't be still. So that points to boy.

D) I was SO SICK and SO TIRED from about weeks 6 to 14. Maylee I was sick too, but not that sick, and Ty I wasn't sick at all. So since I was sick that points to girl.

Then there is the matter of naming #3. Matt and I have had our names picked out since before we were married. Yes both Ty and Maylee were already chosen. We have a boy name set, but for a girl we have NO IDEA. We go back and forth on everything and it's irritating since we've always just known. We DID have a girl name chosen but it kind of fell out of favor a little bit. Anyway so Matt and I have been brain storming girl names and come up empty handed... so another reason a boy would be nice. No worries about the name.

SO bottom line is, WHAT DO YOU THINK #3 WILL BE?  BOY or GIRL? If you think girl then leave a few name suggestions too because we have a short list of names that neither of us are in love with yet.

As for me I think it's a boy, no girl, a healthy little Spence baby because really that's all that matters right?

P.S. in case you are for some reason worried about the lack of belly, the Doctor says I am measuring right on and the weight gain is just fine (not that I was worried... and no I am not doing anything different then I have in previous pregnancies)

9 comments:

Kay said...

My guess is a girl....unless it's a boy? You know the only kid that I just knew was Sierra, not sure why, but she was a girl for sure! I would name him Austin if it was a boy and may Holly Kay Spence if it were a girl! But call her Holly for sure! (if you want to spell it Hollee, that would be fitting...LOL!!! HAHAHA!!!) I had to sneak that Kay part too! Come on Matt, you know it's a great name!

Kristin said...

Haha the frustrations of not knowing. At least we live in the day and age where we get to find out at 20 weeks! I couldn't imagine not knowing until he/she came out. Sheesh!

Michaela said...

I guess girl. A wild, crazy, fun, energetic, beautiful girl! And, I LOVE Holly Kay! Cute!!! Well, I can not wait to hear what you're having! And on the name decision! (Austin for a boy right?)

Will said...

Join the Boy, Girl, Girl club. The water's fine!

Kelly Spence said...

We need another boy on the Spence side. I wish we knew what our next will be, even though there isn't even a pregnancy yet. I just want to know if we should have a 3 or a 4 bedroom house! I guess since we are getting a 3 bedroom I am really hoping for another girl.

Spence Ohana said...

I love the name Austin for a boy, is that what you are going with? I have a cousin named Austin in Hawaii...and of course we live in Austin. So I am biased.

I think you are having another girl. When I think of Ty and Maylee's names they are Western...so stick with that theme. :) our neighbors born and raised Texans have a daughter named Cheyenne which I think is cute, they call her Chey (sounds like Shy) for short. They are expecting and if it is a girl they like the name Kaylee or Kayleigh. Cute name and would pay tribute to you mom.

From the 2012 baby name list for girls I also like these for you guys: Charlotte, Harper, Julia, Brooke and Sadie. :)

nathan said...

Hmm...I'm going with a boy. I feel pretty confident about that one!!! Names are tough and I really don't want to think about it because I get a headache every time. So....good luck with that :) !!!!

grampa spence said...

Darn it Melissa. I was thinking of some great names until you started picking them. Now mine seen dull. i like yours better. I say a boy but hope it is a girl. How's that for picking one.

R Walker Fam said...

Hmm...well I think boy just because my Austin needs a little buddy named Austin! But if she is a girl, maybe she will be a wild & crazy one who helps Miss May with her fancy pants problem :) You are on your own with girl names though...