How many times has someone asked you "As a ________ (insert your religion here) what do you believe?" You've gone to church your whole life and know and believe so many things, where to start? You don't want to take 3 hours of their time but you want to tell then enough of the basics...
Last Sunday my Dad who is the Ward Mission Leader back home, challenged all the youth (and will eventually challenge the whole ward) to memorize a response to that question, "What do you believe?".
He made a little business card with the first discussion on it, that everyone could carry in their wallet or purse just in case they forget the key points. He made it so you could tell people essentially what we believe in 3-5 minutes. Nifty huh?
So as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I'll tell you what it is that I believe:
~We are children of a loving Father in Heaven (Acts 17:29)
~Families are ordained of God and can be a place of peace, safety and joy. (D&C 49:15-16)
~God called prophets to teach us his word. (Amos 3:7)
~He sent his son, Jesus Christ, to atone four our sins and establish His Church. (John 3:16-17) (Eph 4:11-14)
~The truth was taken from the earth as foretold by the Prophets and Apostles. (Amos 8:11-12) (2 Thes. 2:1-3)
~He called a prophet in our time to restore the truth named Joseph Smith and a living prophet directs the church today.
~He gave us the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ as convincing evidence that Joseph Smith was a prophet.
~If you would like to know for yourself if it's true, I would be happy to get you a copy.
So, now that you know what it is that I believe exactly (well the beginning basics) feel free to ask questions or visit Mormon.org and go to their Frequently Asked Questions page. They have answers there to anything you could possibly think up to ask.
Now I just need to memorize this little card and all of the scriptures so I can Stand Up when the times comes that someone asks me what I believe and give them the information that they need to know.
3 comments:
It is a very simple an easy concept to follow, inspired!
That is a good shortened version to share your beliefs and faith.
I notice a lot of Protestant churches will post on their church website their "articles of faith" or "deposit of faith". For me the easiest way to express my articles of faith is through the Apostle's creed.
Funny you mentioned the nifty small card to put in your purse or wallet. I literally JUST put this wallet size card of the Apostle's creed in my purse. :) I bought I whole bunch of them for my religious ed students last school year, had an extra one in my kitchen drawer and thought it would be good to keep with me.
Hey I want a little credit for that note card... since I did make it and all... lol! Kidding. Great thinking Pops!
Post a Comment