Thursday, November 11, 2010

The BEST

I have the best husband. I do, well he's the best for me and the BEST Dad for Ty. It makes me smile almost every morning when I peek into Ty's room before he wakes up in the morning to see him all cuddled up with a blanket carefully placed over him. No doubt Ty kicked off all his blankets that night and Matt put it there and kissed him before leaving for work.

Matt knows Ty's schedule and I don't even have to say anything to him about it. He'll just get up on Saturday morning (or any morning he doesn't have to work) and make Ty and of course himself some breakfast (eggs or french toast AND clean up after himself)... he'll put him in the bath and get him all dressed in appropriate matching clothes and take him to the park or out for a walk. He'll play with him and help him learn tons of new things that mom's kind of space it on. Thanks to Matt, Ty LOVES Airplanes and Helicopters. I forgot that little boys liked those, heck all boys like those. Matt still runs outside to see a big Helicopter flying over our house. (We live very close to a few Army Bases)  If Ty needs a diaper change, he doesn't tell me he just does it himself, making sure to use any needed cremes or ointments for rashes etc. If it's time for bed Matt just goes and gets Ty's pajamas and milk, pulls out the scriptures and starts the whole thing. I don't have to say anything at all. He knows when Ty naps, what he likes to eat, what his favorite things to do are and always likes to hear about new things Ty says or does. I haven't discovered a Lazy Dad bone in Matt's body and it has been very apparent since Ty's birth when I was SUCH a mess, so my mom and Matt did switch off duty taking care of Ty AND me. (Let's hope for a better L&D this time so my mom and Matt will switch off with Ty and Maylee and I'll work on fixing myself haha) 

I wouldn't even have to leave instructions for Matt if I left for a few days out of town and Matt was left to watch Ty.  Pretty sure Matt could take over doing my job quite easily... No wonder Ty is SUCH a Daddy's boy.

Some of you might be thinking well "Duh, aren't most Dad's like that?" (My Dad is that's for dang sure)

But, let me tell you they are not! If you are a lucky duck (and I know a lot of you are), your husband does this too AND if that is the case you better tell them what an awesome Dad they are and how thankful you are for them. Let me tell you, doing this parenting thing all on my own would be SUPER tough! I am SO glad to have someone just as dedicated and loving to our little guy as I am. Matt has so much going on in his life with work, school, tests etc. etc. that I am surprised that when he gets home he still has enough energy to muster up a "Bear Hug" for Ty let alone play with him for an hour or so before we put him to bed (way too late since I was keeping him up so he could see Ty)


P.S. Today is Veterans Day, I know Matt's Dad Steve served in the Navy, I believe in the Vietnam war. Thanks for serving our Country Steve, and all you brave servicemen past and present! "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."  ~Elmer Davis

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Iam glad that I have a husband like that as well!

Holly said...

Your hubby does rock... attentive Dads are the best! :o)

steve said...

Matt is a great dad and a great son. Maybe that's because he missed some of those things when he was growing up.
Last year the Veterans were asked to stand up in church. Three out of the seven people that stood up were in our row. I was shocked but proud.

Jordan said...

Ya, Matthew's a pretty good dad. He's helped me see a few things that I could do better as a dad that's for sure. Thanks bro.

Will said...

I agree. matt's a pretty good dad. But then he and I both have pretty good wives too.

Janice said...

Mickie, I'm sitting here watching a Mystery Diagnosis on the Discovery Health channel on OMS. Hoping that Baylee is doing well. What a scary thing for all of you to go through.

Trish Griffee said...

matt is a great dad. I sometimes forget how much Michael does for us around here too, thanks for the reminder.