We bring to you on this special day, our trip to Pearl Harbor rather than days 3 and 4 of our trip. Pearl Harbor was day 5. BUT today is the 70th anniversary of the bombing on Pearl Harbor so I thought this was more appropriate.
Right as we walked up I had everyone stop for a photo :)
This is a huge model replica of the Arizona before it sunk.
My mom and dad were so kind to rent all of us headsets for the Audio Tour hosted by Jamie Lee Curtis. It was really interesting and informative.
This was an AWESOME guy who was in a tower on Pearl Harbor. He saw the WHOLE THING HAPPEN and was the only survivor in the tower. He shared his story with us.
On the ferry to the Arizona Memorial.
Listening to the tour on the way over setting the tone for the sacredness of the memorial.
The only part of the Arizona out of the water.
On a wall on the far end of the memorial are all the names of the soldiers who died on the Arizona in Pearl Harbor that day, look close and you'll see something eerie. Yeah, what are the odds right?
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Ferry Back...
This was the top of one of the suits that they used during the recovery of the ships and trapped servicemen in the ships.
Japanese Air Craft Carrier, the fact that they did an attack from the carrier changed the way war was forever. Previously sea attacks were only done by battleships not by air, that is why no one expected the attack.
Various bombs used during the air raid.
The map complete with dates of the events of the start of WW2 for the U.S.A.
This huge bomb (pictured is only a portion) was found in 1991 when they were dredging the bottom of pearl harbor. It was still active from that day Dec. 7th 1941. They examined it all they could then took it far out to sea and detonated it. Now it's displayed there.
A model of the Memorial over the Arizona.
The bell of the Arizona.
The end of our tour, waiting for everyone to finish.
The U.S.S. Bowfin a submarine.
Checking out the big guns.
Nice aiming Suzanne, I think you have everything zero'd in perfectly!
Visiting the Memorial was amazing. I didn't really remember the first time I visited, but this time stuck with me more. I actually got a little fired up at the Japanese after learning about all the spies, how nerve wracking everything was and watching live footage of the event. Then at the end of the tour there is a snippet on the Audio Tour where George W. Bush was rededicating the Memorial at the 50 year anniversary and he said "Yes it was tragic, but the war is over, WE WON! Forgive, but don't forget what happened on this fateful day 50 years ago." Wise words... I won't forget... 70 years ago was a tragic day for U.S.A. the older I get the more patriotic I get. My those who died for our country then and anytime never be forgotten. God Bless America!
4 comments:
Amen! Thanks for the history lesson! Loved it again!
And then I always get sad about all those Japanese folk who were rounded up and put in camps. Hopefully we've learned our lessons as a people.
That name on there really is creepy.
I love america!
Perfect post for today. It is such a solemn place.
So I take it Matt's middle name starts with a J? I wonder if that Spence is related. Should research it.
Post a Comment