Thursday, September 3, 2009

LOOOOOVE Language


While Braden was here we were having a discussion about LOVE Languages and how all of us need different things in a relationship. He noted how Matt gets away with things with me that he wouldn't even DREAM about getting away with in his relationships.

I think that all couples look at other couples and think "Wow I wouldn't do that, my wife/husband would KILL me" "How rude! I can't believe that he/she did that they must not care about each other." "How does he/she handle that, gosh that probably gets SO irritating!" or "That is so over the top! I am so glad my spouse doesn't do that, I would be way embarrassed!" It's all about how we communicate with one another, and knowing each others LOVE LANGUAGES. Even Matt and I have looked at other relationships and thought "Wow I am SO glad I am married to you, there is no chance I could do it the way they do it." This conversation however made me wonder what my love languages are so I took the test.

My Results:
I was 33% in Acts of Service, 27% in Quality Time, 23% in Words of Affirmation, 10% in Physical Touch and 7% in Receiving gifts...

So basically I know Matt loves me when he takes care of Ty, folds the laundry and puts it away, goes to Dinner and a Play with me, gets excited about Football/Basketball season with me and tells me I look nice or did a good job. Rather then when he buys me a special gift for no reason, gives me a hug, sits next to me or holds my hand.
(Most of you know I am NOT a physical type person NOR do I care much about gifts which is good for Matt because it seems every time he tries to buy me something it all goes wrong for no reason and it's nothing he has done on his part :)
I had Matt take the test too and his results very were similar to mine but higher in the Physical Touch category (we all know how much back-scratching Matt requires)

We both enjoy the fact that we are independent people, unless we ask one another, generally we don't need or want help. We don't just assume that one or the other is going to do something, if it needs to be done do it yourself OR kindly ask but we wouldn't get upset if the other didn't help if we didn't ask... That's how we roll...

I am sure others are thinking "WHOA NO WAY would that work with us! He's got his jobs I've got mine and that's how it goes!" Not with us, we both get it done... in our own way :) So hey aren't you glad you married who you did? I sure am, we know each other almost better then we know ourselves, we go together like two pees in a pod :)

Want to know your Love Languages? Here's the test we took, it takes only a minute or so..

Go ahead and leave a comment telling me what YOUR love language is, I am curious to know!
Disclaimer: I am not saying that Matt and I don't ever disagree about things, we sure as heck aren't perfect, we do have a lot to learn. But I do think we are perfect for each other!

6 comments:

Will said...

Well this'll be scary if Kristin takes it. I'm dying to know what her language is, but I'm pretty sure we don't typically speak the same language . . .

Percent Language Score
23% Words of Affirmation 7
10% Quality Time 3
17% Receiving Gifts 5
17% Acts of Service 5
33% Physical Touch 10

I think they're something to be said for
A) over-rating what one wishes he/she had more of
B) interpreting the other's love through THEIR language . . .

Kay said...

Language Score
23% Words of Affirmation 7
33% Quality Time 10
7% Receiving Gifts 2
27% Acts of Service 8
10% Physical Touch 3

On some questions I wouldn't have picked either answer, and some were just plain dumb! I think as we've gotten older that love changes too, 15 years ago with five kids around my answers would have been much different.

I'm glad you married who you did too! And I'm glad I married who I did too.

annie moffat karcher said...

Percent Language Score
10% Words of Affirmation 3
23% Quality Time 7
10% Receiving Gifts 3
23% Acts of Service 7
33% Physical Touch 10

pretty cool! Thanks for posting this.

B said...

20% Words of Affirmation 6
30% Quality Time 9
7% Receiving Gifts 2
23% Acts of Service 7
20% Physical Touch 6

I definitely think these change with time. Quality time is more important to me now because he is so busy with work, school, and Air Force and when he IS home we have things to get done OR Maeli takes up our attention. Other than that, it's accurate I think.

steve said...

23% WORDS OF AFFIRMATION
27% QUALITY TIME
3% RECEIVING GIFTS
7% ACTS OF SERVICE
40% PHYSICAL TOUCH

I guess the last one says it all. That's who I am.

Holly said...

Okay...
30% Words of Affirmation
30% Quality Time
0% Receiving Gifts
27% Acts of Service
13% Physical Touch

Guess I don't need presents to feel loved...LOL! ;)