8 years ago, in my sophomore year of high school I was on a bus with my soccer team headed to play a team in Redmond. The bus driver turned on the radio through out the entire charter bus... and we listened. At first I didn't understand, I thought it was a little plane, an accident...then when it was explained that this was no accident on the radio I understood the magnitude. We weren't that far away from home, our coach got a call explaining that the game was cancelled. The bus turned around with all of us saying silent prayers in our hearts. As I got home I sat down on the couch in shock with just enough time to turn on the television and see the second plane hit. This was no mistake we were under attack, then news of the pentagon crash came in. I kept thinking what next, I was in shock my mouth was hanging open as I remember having to consciously think to breathe. Why would anyone have so much hate in their hearts that they would want to do this. Then news of another plane that went down in a Pennsylvania field came in because the passengers fought back. It was then that I felt a sense of pride to be an American that I had never felt before. On that day I was thankful for my country, thankful for my family, thankful for my belief in God and my religion. I prayed and prayed for the families that lost loved ones that day, so much that it brought me to tears. I felt like that was all I could do being on the other side of the country. Now today, on this anniversary, I still pray for those families who have lost ones dear in such a horrifying and tragic event and will never forget the many stories of bravery and heroism that were displayed in the midst of these events. God Bless America.
6 comments:
It was a hard day for us as a country, and it almost made me feel guilty for wanting to celebrate the joy in my life that day. I have often struggled, but have now embraced both. I grieve for those whose lives were tragically changed that fateful day, but am GRATEFUL for the day it changed my life for the better...
Thanks for making me cry :) God Bless America!
That was quite a day. Seeing that again brought back a flood of memories and feelings. How strange that our children may one day ask about those poignant memories.
Thanks Mickie for the reminder of the tide of change that went across the world and into the hearts of all who understood that we no longer may stand apart but must come together to protect our homes, family and freedom. How grateful I am for those that give their lives for these precious gifts.
I just watched the movie about those people in the plane that crashed. They were so brave to do what they did to retake the plane. America is never free. People don't realize that when a war is on but never see the aftermath. We are so lucky as a nation never to have our children witness the calamities of death amoungst us. Thanks for the reminder Mickie.
Just got a chance to read this post Mickie. Stephen and I flew last Friday on 9/11. We were waiting for our flight to Boston when the bag pipes came playing through the terminal and a moment of silence took place across the entire airport. I still pray for those families too, so sad and so tragic.
Post a Comment