Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cork and Killarney

The Hotels that we stayed in, in both Cork and Killarney were super old. This one was built in the 1860's I think?? It was pretty creepy actually, more like the Tower of Terror I have been told (I wouldn't know that ride terrifies me)
 We took a walk around Cork and went to the English Market... it was less than to be desired and smelt so bad I about yacked. I don't know exactly what the mix of smells was but whatever it was I was not feelin' it. There were even Chocolate vendors there that I couldn't even think about because it smelled so bad. I don't have a quick gag reflex either. I am thinking it was Raw Fish, plus Raw Meat. plus Olives in a Vinegar brine or something. Bad Bad Bad... But the rest of the city was nice to walk around.
I might have my days mixed up at this point, I can't really remember. BUT Here is the BLARNEY Castle, supposedly the most famous of the Irish Castles. This one has the famous Blarney Stone (to be honest we saw other castles much more impressive but this one was nice) 


We stood in line for about an hour I think, to KISS the Blarney Stone. Matt was using the "toilet" haha in the Blarney Castle, seriously that was the bathroom, with a little hole into open air. That is how they did it- they just went off the side of the castle. Then someone cleaned up around the castle each day and they used it as compost. They would purposely leave a little pile though so the Ammonia fumes from the "waste" would come back up the hole- they would hang their clothes up next to the hole so that the Ammonia would kill any lice in their clothes. That whole process is disgusting!  SO glad I didn't live that long ago. Indoor plumbing and washing machines- I am very thankful for it!
 Look how skinny the stairs are to the top of the Castle! Talk about a tight squeeze with all the people waiting in line.
 The view from the top of the Castle.
 Waiting in line, it was SUPER windy up there.
 Matt giving the Stone a SMOOCH! (As we walked down he told everyone her gave it a nice lick to gross everyone out in line, as if it wasn't all ready gross enough)
 Dad giving the Stone a Smooch! I haven't read up as to why you have to do it upside down like that, all I know is I would never do that. A) Because millions of people have kissed that stone with no sterilization in between, I wouldn't say I am a germaphobe but that pushed my limits and B) Do you SEE HO HIGH THEY ARE? Upside DOWN LIKE? No way I am so scared of heights just looking down that hole throws me through a loop.
 Walking down...
 Driving in Ireland was quite the adventure for all of us ESPECIALLY Matt who was the designated DRIVER. He did really well with no problems at all. The streets are as wide as 2 perpendicular cows would be. One lane in the USA is both lanes there.
 We drove to the Muckross House to make it to the last tour but we missed it. We DID however happen upon a Jaunting Car driver who drove us around the property with his horse and Buggy. I think it ended up being a favorite part of the trip for all of us. The grounds of the house were GORGEOUS.
 The house just blew me away.
 UGHHHH I WANT ONE!! Matt said he would get one for me in 90 years (when were dead- pretty sure we'll just build it in heaven haha) It was so awesome to see. Plus it was quite Downton Abbey-ish so that was fun too.
 The view of the lake as you walk up the path behind the house. So pretty.
 As we were riding around we saw some deer.
 Our driver took us to the Torc Waterfall. It reminded us of walking around by the Multnomah Falls near our house. Still pretty none the less.
 Torc Waterfall.

 Here we are riding in our horse and buggy.

We went to our hotel and spoke with the fellow Shane at the front desk. We were supposed to drive the Ring of Kerry the following day. It's a 3-5 hour drive to see the views of the country. It sounded great on paper until we drove a little bit of the roads. It was SUPER windy and too be honest looked alot like Oregon and Southern Washington... (we are spoiled!) so we asked Shane what the big sights were, he said the Waterfall, which we'd all ready seen, and Our Ladies View of the Lakes. Which was only about and hour away. We had tons of things to do so he helped us work out our day and helped us tremendously! We went through the earliest tour of the Muckross house that we toured the grounds of the day before... the inside was nearly as impressive as the outside, unfortunately, yet again no photos where allowed. 

Then we drove up to see the view of the lakes, which was really pretty, then we went to Kenmare and had lunch at a little Cafe. 
Here we are, driving... weird seeing Matt on that side right?
 In Kenmare they had a little Market that we stumbled upon. Mom bought a few things and Matt did too.
 On our way back we kept seeing little herds of Sheep. We were amazed we didn't see any road kill with how fast people drove this road, how NARROW the roads are and how dumb the sheep were for hanging out on the road.
 After the drive we went straight to the Ross Castle.
 This is the interior wall, teeny doors and little steps.
 The view of the lake right outside the doors of the Castle.

 This is the full exterior of the Castle. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside. It was fully finished on the inside. We had an awesome tour guide and we learned a lot. I learned that the builders of these Castles purposely made the steps taller and shorter randomly so that people attacking or storming the Castle would trip running up the spiral staircases. As we walked up the steps I tripped a few times, it was crazy. Plus they made all the stairways clockwise so the right handed would have an advantage over their right handed attacker. You couldn't swing a sword in that small of space right handed. There are little holes all over the Castle and out of every room so one could throw a spear out the hole and get anyone coming up the stairs. Also they had what was called a Kill hole where there was about a 2X2 foot hole in the floor that they could dump hot oils down on the people trying to break into the front door OR if they made it up to that next level they could push a man through. Also all the windows are teeny little slits so that no one could shoot an arrow or throw a spear in but they opened up through the 3 foot thick walls to form a funnel that is flat on the bottom allowing room for up to 3 men to sit inside and shoot out through the slit. Castles were mainly built as defensive, lots of skirmishes, but with all these defenses you'd have to be crazy to STORM a CASTLE! Matt said as we left that Castle "According to my calculations, making me go first into the Castle gives me a....100% chance of dying." I told him that they would make me go first since I am Left handed. The guide said I would never have been allowed to fight because being left handed back in the day meant you were of the devil. Awesome... (said sarcasitcally)
 After the Ross Castle we went to Killarney National Park to the Stables to ride through the park. It was great!
 Dad took most of these pictures, this one was blurry, i'd like to think it was a good action shot haha. Mom and I were on somewhat normal size horses. Dad and Matt got some rather large ones to ride on!
 Matt brought up the rear of our trail.
 My horse Monte, just wanted to MUNCH! Seriously any time we barely stopped he would go to eat all the grass. Our guides were French and Swedish. The Swedish Gal in the Back spoke English quite well, the one in the front didn't speak any.
After our ride :) 
 Dad took this picture on the way back to our hotel... a LOG tuck! On such small roads! We were all quite shocked and nervous for any on coming traffic, it took up a lane and a half!

More Ireland stuff tomorrow hopefully, I gotta get all done and posted so I can post about Maylee's Birthday and upcoming Easter things!

2 comments:

Will said...

Thank you Matt for the Cork shirt. I'm excited for it! Hope the kiddos have enjoyed being home again!

Kristin said...

That looks like so much fun! It also looks cold ;) I don't know if I would have kissed the rock either... Yuck