Friday, December 7, 2012

I Stand All Amazed

Only 3 short years ago we were all praying our hearts out for my niece Baylee, who was going through a terrifying ordeal at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City.
She lost all mobility, her speech and her eyes were shaking. It was so scary! The Doctors there in Utah, with in a few hours properly diagnosed her with OMS and she started on her path to recovery. Because of blogging and Facebook it seemed like people from across the nation were saying prayers for her. Now, you would have NO IDEA that she went through such a crazy experience.
She is healthy, happy and having little residual effects from her OMS. So amazing when I think about it, it strengthens my beliefs in a knowing Father in Heaven. He blessed Baylee and our family so much by restoring her health.

Now we have had ANOTHER person to pray for this holiday season. For some reason, during the last 13 years or so I have had a soft spot in my heart for the Berger Boys. I have no idea why, but I feel like I need to care for them, be friends with them, check in on them etc. I wrote them both on their missions, baked them cookies, sent them Christmas Cards, tried to go to their Basketball games when they were playing near where I was. It's funny to think about considering I am older than them, didn't hang out with them a WHOLE bunch in high school or anything and both of them are OVER a foot taller than be. But it doesn't really matter.

For those of you who don't know. Danny Berger, the younger brother, was practicing offensive drills with his basketball team on Tuesday afternoon. They were preparing to travel down to the Marriott Center to play BYU. He has been looking forward to this game ALL YEAR. He is the starting Shooting Guard for the team. We spoke about it a few months back how excited he was for the game. Right after the drills were over and he was walking to the water table he collapsed. He stopped breathing and went into full cardiac arrest right there on the basketball court. The Athletic Trainer, Mike Williams, was there and jumped into action. With in 15 seconds he was doing CPR on Danny and with in another 15, he was using an AED defibrillator device to jolt Danny's heart to regain his pulse. They called 911, got an ambulance to take him to the local hospital then he was lifeflighted to Intermountion Medical Center in Murray Utah. He was in critical condition, under sedation and with breathing tubes for just shy of 24 hours.

They've done tests and can't find any reason for his heart to just stop. He has no family or personal history of this and it literally came out of no where. The kid is 22 and in really, REALLY good shape. When I found out through my mom about this my heart jumped into my throat. I about threw up and started crying all at once. That trainer, Mike Williams saved his life. He has no brain damage because he revived him so quickly. The Doctors at IMC are top notch (I have first hand experience after having to go to numerous appointments there while I was pregnant with Ty, remember how he had Moderate Hydronephrosis in both Kidneys?) They are going to implant a small defibrillator into his heart that will prevent this from ever happening again. AND if the device goes off at all, it will send a signal to the Dr.s at IMC right away so they know. Isn't that AMAZING? BYU and USU came together to put the health of Danny above the game and they postponed (maybe cancelled) the match. I wholeheartedly agreed to this. What team would be able to step on the court with a clear head after seeing one of their teammates less than 24 hours previous revived back to life.

I'm not sure when they will do the surgery, probably today or tomorrow. But he'll be in an arm sling for a month then after that back to normal he thinks. I've been texting back and forth with him a bit and he is doing a ton better he says. He is out of ICU. On his Facebook status he wrote, "God is real i'm proof" AMEN to that. I think people from across the nation (just like Baylee) have been praying for him. Suzanne and Colton went down to the hospital to see him and his family. He has a game in Seattle the middle of February. Matt and I were thinking about making the trip up before this ever happened. It would be downright amazing if he were playing in that game. We're still praying for a successful surgery and a full recovery. But for right now I'm just glad my buddy is still alive.
He has a good heart and is always smiling, even in his hospital bed when recovering from a major heart attack. What a Christmas Miracle and, like the title to this post states, I Stand All Amazed.

2 comments:

Kay said...

So glad I haven't put any make up on yet today!

Spence Ohana said...

Wow both amazing stories. So happy about your niece. And that is wonderful your friend is alive and doing better.