Friday, March 13, 2009

Pi Day


Pi Day, it is a beloved holiday in our family. I thought that I would remind you why Pi is so handy. Don't know the Circumference of a circle but you DO know the Diameter? Just multiply pi by that diameter and voila! You have your answer.

Don't know the area of your circle but you do know the radius? Multiply your radius squared by pi and VOILA you have your area!
3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
It's a magic number!
Why do I bring this up on this lovely day in March you ask? Tomorrow is March 14Th, 3.14! So in celebration of this day we make PIE and get together to celebrate! Why not right? It's a perfect teaching opportunity for little ones too!
Tomorrow I am making a plain cheesecake and I'll have strawberry syrup and fresh strawberries to go on top, a pumpkin pie (for Matt), and the verdict is still up on the third one I am making. Suzanne is going to make a dessert peach pizza.
Also, new to us this year here in Utah is a restaurant named "The Pie Pizzeria" who uses the symbol pi as their logo. So lunch it is, 3.14, 1:59, at the Pie, then later in the evening we will eat our pies. (We really aren't waiting until 1:59 to eat, but I bet we'll be there during that time anyways)
It's a fun excuse to eat some good food and hang out with friends and family. Won't all of you out there in blogger land eat some PIE or at least some PIZZA tomorrow in celebration too? Happy Pi day! :)



6 comments:

Kay said...

I'm making Banana Cream and Kristin is making a Chocolate Truffle Pie!

Yay! For Pi-day!!

steve said...

You crack me up Mickie. All that explanation and I saw right through you. You just want a piece of pie.

Holly said...

I love Pi day, but there will be none this year... I can't make it with out eating it and that just ain't gonna happen... ;)

Kelly Spence said...

How fun! I love an excuse to eat sweets. If Nate were here to eat it with me I would definitely be making a cheesecake--my favorite.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

We will be spending a lot of pi day at the rink in provo- can hope that our score is the opponents times pi- I guess.

Trish Griffee said...

Oh how I love THE PIE!! My favorite pizza place for sure!